Welcome to the Yahoo Gemini API Product Bulletin. This update includes a quick snapshot of recent and upcoming releases and is focused on features supported by the API. A summary of supported functionality is also included.
Product Bulletins are updated on a monthly cadence for Gemini API partners, account managers and developers.
- May, 2017
- New Advertiser Budget APIs Introduced
- Dynamic Product Ads (DPA) Resources
- Reminder: Search on Native Now Supports DMA Targeting (US only) and Sitelinks
- Reminder: Performance Stats and User Stats Now Support Real-time Data
- Shared Sitelink Service Resources
- Gemini API Video Tutorials
- Reminder: Gemini v2 API Resources and v1 Deprecation Timeline
- Reminder: Deprecated Reporting Endpoint
- Getting Started Guide: OAuth 2.0 Authentication Steps
- Glossary of Gemini Terms
- Check Out What’s New
- Using the Gemini Sandbox Environment
- Required Fields by Ad Type Matrix
New Advertiser Budget APIs Introduced¶
- For managed accounts, Advertisers can now take advantage of new APIs to retrieve and update advertiser budget data. For information, see Advertiser.
Dynamic Product Ads (DPA) Resources¶
- Dynamic Product Ads (DPA) are feed-based ads that can be shown on a native Gemini platform. Use DPAs as retargeting ads from your product feed that scale to promote your products to users who have visited your product websites.
- To get started, see Dynamic Product Ads for integration steps, product feed operations, creation of product sets and Dot Tag Instrumentation. For additional guidance, see the FAQs.
Reminder: Performance Stats and User Stats Now Support Real-time Data¶
- The user_stats and performance_stats cubes now support real-time data. Data will be in line with the Gemini UI, and within 15 minutes of serve time.
- Important: Name and status are the only metadata fields allowed. If you include other metadata fields (e.g. campaign objective), the report will default back to a 4-hour delay. The “Hour” field is not currently supported.
- Example performance_stats report fields to include for an intra-day Ad Spend report:
(“Day”, “Advertiser ID” , “Campaign ID”, “Ad Group ID”, “Ad ID”, “Spend”, “Impression”, “Clicks”, “Conversions”)
Gemini API Video Tutorials¶
- In this series of introductory videos, the Gemini Development Team will walk you through some of the basic steps you’ll need to follow before you first begin making API calls and leveraging the Gemini platform for programmatic ad buying.
- Get Started with Programmatic Gemini API - Episode 1
- Working with RESTful Objects in Programmatic Gemini API - Episode 2
- How to set up your Sandbox Environment in the Programmatic Gemini API - Episode 3
Reminder: Gemini v2 API Resources and v1 Deprecation Timeline¶
- New Gemini v2 API has been released. Starting on June 1, 2016, Yahoo Gemini migrated the programmatic Gemini API from v1 to v2; the current version of the Gemini API is v2. Be sure to read the sections on Versioning and API v1 Deprecation, plus the FAQs for details.
The Gemini v1 API was supported for 90 days beyond the June 1, 2016 deprecation date. After that date, starting on September 1, 2016, the Gemini v1 API will be available for one year. After that time, it will be relegated to End of Life (EOL) status.
- See the What’s New section for more information about the new Gemini v2 API.
Reminder: Deprecated Reporting Endpoint¶
- Update: Please be aware that action may be required for the following deprecated reporting endpoint.
Old: https://api.gemini.yahoo.com/v1/rest/reports New: https://api.gemini.yahoo.com/v2/rest/reports/custom
- If you currently make calls only to /v2/rest/reports/custom for both POST and GET, there is no action required.
- If you currently make POST calls to /v1/rest/reports then you need to migrate to the /v2/rest/reports/custom endpoint ASAP.
- If you currently make POST calls to /v1/rest/reports/custom and GET calls to /v1/rest/reports, then you need to migrate to v2 before v1 EOL NEXT year Sept 1, 2017.
- Please see documentation for the new reporting endpoint for more information.
- For additional reference, please see Gemini API documentation: Navigating the API and Reporting.
Getting Started Guide: OAuth 2.0 Authentication Steps¶
- New, detailed explanation of steps to follow before you begin OAuth 2.0 authentication. If you’re new to the Gemini API, you should read the section and follow the steps listed. Note also in the section on OAuth refresh tokens that access tokens will expire after 60 minutes.
Glossary of Gemini Terms¶
Check Out What’s New¶
Using the Gemini Sandbox Environment¶
- The Gemini API lets you work with a sandbox environment to test campaigns you’ve created and managed. You use the same consumer key and consumer secret you obtained when you set up your OAuth to access the sandbox.
- The Gemini sandbox serves as a modified version of the production environment. While all operations are designed to function the same in the sandbox as in the production environment, the campaigns and ads you create in this environment do not actually serve. The sandbox environment is completely separate from your production environment.
- All campaigns, ads, and keywords you create in the sandbox are available in the sandbox environment only. There is no possibility that the ads you create in the sandbox will be accidentally served. Nor will your production accounts be charged for any mock transactions in the sandbox environment.
- You will need to create a sandbox account in order to test in this environment. You can do this by making a POST call to the sandbox signup endpoint and passing in the name you wish to call your test advertiser. The response will be a test advertiser object that will only be available in the sandbox environment. For more details, see Testing - Sandbox.
- Be sure to check out the video tutorial describing How to set up your Sandbox Environment in the Programmatic Gemini API - Episode 3.
Required Fields by Ad Type Matrix¶
- We’ve added a new matrix which details the required fields when serving different ad types. For more information, see Ad documentation > Matrix view of required fields.